Summer is a great time for high school students to rev up their competitiveness for college admission. Examples of opportunities students should consider this summer include:
- summer jobs
- volunteering as a mentor/camp counselor for 4-H, scouts, YMCA programs
- paid and volunteer internships related to planned college major
- summer programs at colleges for students in band and athletics
- test prep programs to prepare for SAT or ACT
- participating in music, art, theater and science programs
- completing ROTC applications (rising seniors)
Students who do not feel ready for college or who did not get into their favorite college as a freshman sometimes consider a GAP semester or year to have a new experience and possibly improve foreign language skills before entering college. Options range from design your own plan to signing up with a fancy GAP year program.
Students who design their own plans sometimes decide to work full time for a semester or a year to gain work experience and earn money for college. There are many other options.