Today is April Fool's Day and also the day that many regular admission applicants will receive an email, text or letter revealing their admission decisions from colleges.
I started getting emails from students last night about some notices that arrived a day early. Emotions are running high from elation to disappointment to "oh, well, I have other choices".
Supportive, encouraging and patient parents are what these students need today. They need time to celebrate or mourn. Then they need time to weigh the merits of their acceptances and ask themselves the following questions:
- which college is the best fit academically and socially?
- how much debt am I willing to take on for prestige?
- what is the most practical choice economically?
- am I willing to go that far from home?
- which college made me feel at home?
- where will I get the best education?
- where will I have the most opportunity?
- which college has the best employment outcomes?
Big decisions to make by May 1!