Think rising seniors have the summer to relax and the fall to worry about college applications? Think again. Right this very minute they should be WRITING! The summer before senior year is the prime time to write college essays. Having essays written in advance of actually completing college applications will save time and greatly increase the quality of the essays submitted later to college admissions officers.
Other tasks critical at this time of year for rising seniors are:
- researching college majors
- coming to agreement as a family on how much the family can contribute to cost
- finding colleges that offer desired majors and are in the desired price range
- updating student resume
- planning senior year activities
- planning senior year testing activity and registering for tests
- conducting scholarship research
- visiting college campuses
Summer before senior year is the busiest summer students experience while in high school. They juggle the list of to-do's for college while working their summer job and trying to have a little fun before fall term begins.