For many high school seniors, there is little to do at this point but celebrate. Exempt from exams and only weeks from graduation, they are celebrating high school graduations plus college acceptances. Most think there is little to do now but go shopping for dorm decor.
Before seniors pack for a summer at the beach, here is the summer top ten to-do list that will help them have a successful fall semester in college:
- monitor email daily for instructions from college on important dates and required actions
- confirm that the college has received admission acceptance confirmation
- comply with all mail and email regarding actions students must take to secure college housing, declare a curriculum and register for classes
- confirm that the financial aid office has received all information needed to make the financial aid award final
- talk with family about the best way to pay any gap between financial aid and scholarships offered and the cost of the freshman year
- make a plan to save the as much as possible this summer in order to have savings to help with unexpected expenses during the freshman year
- mark the calendar with college orientation dates, student id processing dates and other required events
- complete online loan counseling if borrowing so that loan funds will be available to be applied to tuition, complete roomie preference forms in order to get the most compatible roomie and select an appropriate meal plan
- read to stay in practice, maintain speed and comprehension for fall
- treasure the time with family and friends this summer and develop a plan to stay in touch with regular check-ins during the fall
The summer to-do list is an on-going list and not something a senior can do before summer begins. Colleges tend to communicate with students all summer making requests to complete arrangements for fall arrival.